- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 lb thick cut bacon 12 slices
- 4 - 5 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- Heat olive oil in skillet and sauté onions until golden color.
- In large mixing bowl, combine together ground beef, sautéed onions and bread crumbs.
- Add egg, season with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Form into log and place in shallow baking pan.
- Spread thick layer of tomato paste over meatloaf.
- Add layer of cheese slices on top of tomato paste.
- Top with 2 layers of bacon (horizontal layer then vertical). Tuck edges under.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 1.5 hours (done when internal temperature reaches 160° F).