Spinach & Sausage Baked Ziti
- 1-1.5 lbs regular or hot Italian ground pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 28 oz can diced peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese grated or cubed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is cooked through.
- Boil pasta. When done, drain and set aside.
- Add canned tomatoes to sausage and onion mixture.
- Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add pesto and season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Lightly oil 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Combine pasta, spinach, mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in large bowl.
- Add hot tomato mixture to bowl and mix well.
- Place in baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake until sauce bubbles and cheeses melt, about 20 minutes.