One Skillet Chicken & Rice
- 6-8 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked long grain rice, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the chicken and sear 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat- both sides. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add garlic, onion and red peppers to pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until onion is transparent.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes and broth; season with salt, pepper and basil. Bring to a simmer.
- Place thighs over rice mixture and bring to a boil. Cover with foil and transfer skillet to oven. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and change oven settings to broil/medium heat. Cook for 8-10 more minutes or until chicken is golden. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.