Slow Cooker Wild Rice Cranberry Stuffing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stocks, diced
- 16 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 cup silvered almonds, slightly toasted
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and celery and let cook until the onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Increase the heat and add mushrooms. Cook until they are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in salt/pepper and remove from heat and set aside.
- In large slow cooker, stir together rice (both kinds) and sautéed vegetables. Pour in the chicken broth, stir and cover. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours, until the rice is tender. One hour before done stir in cranberries, sage and thyme.
- Once cooked (cranberries will be soft) let stand 10 minutes, covered.
- Before serving, sprinkle the toasted almonds over the top.